The Stadtbad Oderberger was designed in 1898 by the architect Ludwig Hoffmann to provide the then rapidly booming northeasterly Berlin district of Prenzlauer Berg with public facilities. In 1986, the baths were forced to close, and remained derelict for nearly three decades.
In 2012, the careful renovation and restoration of the listed, deeply historic building began, and in January 2016 was unveiled as Hotel Oderberger Berlin. The opulent swimming pool and spa is open to guests and non-guests – more here.
1902: Opening as a “Volksbadeanstalt“ or Public Bathhouse
1945: The bathhouse survives the war without major damage
1986: Closure of the bath due to cracks in the floor
1989: A citizens’ initiative ensures the preservation of the city bath
1994: Artists use the baths for exhibitions
2011: Sale of Oderberger Baths to the GLS Language School
2012: Beginning of renovations
2016: Re-opening as Hotel Oderberger Berlin